1165 København K
Tlf: 35 32 28 98 (mon-thurs)
New salary numbers — The rector remains the highest-paid employee at the University of Copenhagen. See a list of the University of Copenhagen’s ten best paid researchers and what top management earned in 2020.
The University Post was given access to management’s salary numbers in 2020. Here you can see what the rector, prorectors, the university director and the deans are earning at the University of Copenhagen (UCPH).
You can see a full list of all staff groups’ pay at the University of Copenhagen here.
READ ALSO: Salaries of University of Copenhagen staff
We can also present the current list of the ten scientists who bring home the highest annual pay. Four of them are employed at a Novo Nordisk Foundation Center based at the University of Copenhagen.
The best-paid researcher is a woman who is only DKK 310,397 below the rector’s annual salary of almost DKK 1.9 million.
The amount is the actual total salary for the year 2020, understood as basic salary, pension, fixed allowances, temporary allowances and one-time bonuses.
1. Rector Henrik C. Wegener
2. University Director Jesper Olesen
3. Dean Ulla Wever, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
4. Dean Katrine Krogh Andersen, Faculty of Science
5. Prorector for Education Bente Merete Stallknecht
6. Dean Jesper Kallestrup, Faculty of Humanities
DKK 829,687 (For 7 months. The monthly salary corresponds to an annual salary of DKK 1,422,321)
7. Dean Mikkel Vedby Rasmussen, Faculty of the Social Sciences
8. Dean Jacob Graff Nielsen, Faculty of Law
9. Dean Kirsten Busch Nielsen
DKK 1,253,728 (5 months of DKK 91,165, 7 months of DKK 114,322)
Prorector for Research and Innovation David Dreyer Lassen does not appear on the list, as he only took up his position on 1 January 2021.
This is how we did it
The salary information is obtained via Freedom of Information request. The amount is the actual salary sum for the year 2020, understood as basic salary, pension, fixed allowances, temporary allowances and one-time bonuses.
All deans have a basic salary of DKK 53,621 per month. The differences are due to differences in what the individual deans have negotiated. Ulla Wewer and Katrine Krogh Andersen, for example, both have a permanent allowance of more than DKK 36,800 per month.
According to loenoverblik.dk, professors had an average monthly salary of DKK 76,474 (inclusive of pension and all the supplements we mention in the fact box right) at the University of Copenhagen in the fourth quarter of 2020. The corresponding amount for associate professors was DKK 62,757.
The average annual salary for professors at the University of Copenhagen is DKK 917,688. But there are some well-paid profiles among them that manage to take home a lot more.
The ten highest paid scientific staff at the University of Copenhagen in 2020 were:
1. Professor and state pathologist Jytte Banner, Department of Forensic Medicine [the state pathologist job includes a 24 hour obligation to be available to the national police, there is therefore a supplement to the professor pay.]
2. Professor Joshua Mark Brickman, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Stem Cell Biology
3. Professor Ian David Hickson, head of research group, ICMM (Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine)
4. Professor, scientist in the field of ageing research Rudolf G. J. Westendorp, Department of Public Health
5. Professor Guillermo Montoya, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research
6. Professor Michael Jonathan Davies, Department of Biomedical Sciences
7. Professor Torben Hansen, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research
8. Professor Morten Bennedsen, Department of Economics
9. Professor Ole Kiehn, Integrative neuroscience
10. Professor Søren Brunak, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research