University Post
University of Copenhagen
Independent of management

Campus

Breaking news: Toxic chemical spill on Amager

If you are in and around Vermlandsgade, Upplandsgade, and Kløvermarken on Amager close all windows and doors and stay where you are. Chemical spill causes corrosive fumes that can damage lungs

A pharmaceutical company’s tank filled with 4,000 litres of boiling nitric acid caused a chemical spill on Amager Tuesday morning, reports the Danish newspaper Politiken.dk.

A relatively large area around Kløvermarken, Amager is currently closed off by the police and fire brigade. This is because the boiling nitric acid seems to have caused a chemical leak creating a yellow cloud of toxic gas above Amager.

All residents of the area have been told to stay indoors until further notice from authorities. According to Politiken.dk there are no reports of injured persons. However, the acid fumes are corrosive and can cause damage to lungs so should be taken seriously. Inhaling the fumes may cause coughing, nausea, and vomiting.

Also read the University Post article Acid used for Penicillin production.

Anna.M.Gaonkar@adm.ku.dk

Stay in the know about news and events happening in Copenhagen by signing up for the University Post’s weekly newsletter here.

Seneste