University Post
University of Copenhagen
Independent of management


Denmark can now compete for the best scientists

Danish Aliens Act eased up for non-European researchers. As part of a wide-ranging reform, researchers outside Europe can now work without a residence permit for up to three months

Scientists and researchers will now find it easier to come to Denmark. As part of a big reform package, they can now work with a residence and work permit part time, or for up to three months without a permit. This is according to information given to the University Post from the International Staff Mobility Office (ISM).

The reform, which has just been implemented 1 January, 2015 will help University of Copenhagen (UCPH) attract and employ researchers from all over the world, according to ISM. The reform of the Danish Aliens Act (Udlændingeloven) also means that researchers can work for a more flexible amount of working hours.

”The most important thing is that researchers can work for a period of three months without a residence and work permit. Before we had to apply for a residence and work permit even if they worked for one week,” says Vivian Tos Lindgaard from International Staff Mobility.

More flexibility

The new changes will improve flexibility and mobility for researchers outside EU/EEA as from now they can also work partly in Denmark and partly abroad.

”Research is getting more global and more complex and happens in collaboration with other research institutions. It is quite common to have two or even three jobs in different countries if you’re a really good researcher. Now you can leave Denmark for six months and still come back without losing your residence permit,” says Lindgaard.

There is no lower limit for the number of working hours, which means that Danish universities can employ a researcher for one hour a week, provided that the standard pay and employment conditions are met.

Affects PhD students

PhD candidates are both employees and students. They will now be placed in one category at the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment.

This will grant them a residence permit for six months after submitting their PhD thesis in order to look for a job. It also gives master and PhD graduates a possibility to apply for Etableringskort, a card which grants them two years to start their own business and look for a job.

Moreover, the new reform will make it easier and cheaper to change positions at the university. “If you get a new position at the university, for example, from postdoc to assistant proffesor, you don’t have to apply for a residence permit again,” explains Lindgaard.

Like us on Facebook for features, guides and tips on upcoming events. Follow us on Twitter for links to other Copenhagen academia news stories. Sign up for the University Post weekly newsletter here, and then follow the University Post on Instagram here.